New people. New classes. New subjects? Seems a little daunting, doesn’t it? Well, that’s University for you. Jumping out from high school and getting into a university is a big change most of us go through, and as difficult as it seems, there are a lot of things that can make this big change just a little (or more) easier for you!
We’re here to let you know some of these tips and tricks to remember during your first year of University, or maybe for the rest of it, to help you sail smoothly through it all like a rockstar!
- Every person you meet in the university has something to offer you – While some may show you the way to your class, others will help you achieve heights. Classmates, professors or staff at the university. It’s okay if you’re not friends with everyone, but it’s always a good idea to constantly grow your network and make acquaintances, especially if it’s your first year of university.
- Be super organized and punctual – Whether you like to mark your calendars or make little sticky notes, make sure you’re on time while turning up your assignments. Moreover, try as much as you can to never miss a class, especially in your first year of university.
- Plagiarism is a big NO – Avoid plagiarism like you would avoid *that* spooky street at night. Finding your writing style is a crucial part of your university life. Do not jinx it by copying and pasting from other sources of information. Try to cite your sources properly in your first year of the university itself, and make the best use of apps that detect plagiarism.
- Don’t forget to make Notes – Making notes will be an essential part of most of your classes. They’re going to generously help you during revision and further lessons. Practice and see what method suits the best for you! Making notes on laptops is easier and takes very little time, however, when you’re jotting down the notes on a copy it helps you remember the lessons better.
- Do participate in activities and events organized by your university or faculty – Events and activities take place regularly, and it’s a great time for you to meet new people, engage and make friends, especially if it’s your first year of university. Join and be a part of the Student-led clubs, attend the dance parties, the list could go on.
- Don’t be afraid to switch classes – If you find yourself in a situation where you’re not quite interested in a particular subject, do not feel obligated to attend the class. Instead, you can find one that interests you, and you genuinely enjoy learning.
- Make health your priority – It’s your first year of university, and for many of you it might be the first time you could be staying away from home. It’s vital to focus on your well-being, both mental and physical, and take good care of it. Remember, nothing’s more important than a healthy mind and body.
- Get to know your professors – Your professors want nothing more than to see you explore and grow throughout your university life. They’ll be more than happy to share their experiences with you.
By- Sakina Hakim
Content writer- Jagran Lakecity University