Five ways a University prepares their students for career enhancement
Universities, colleges and other educational institutes are aware and meticulously working towards a comprehensive development of students to make them industry based skills equipped and job ready. Strategies that encourage students to get trained on existing expertise, acquire new skills and polish their dormant talents are on the rise and well above the horizon. At Jagran Lakecity University, Bhopal these robust strategies are already into play and have been guiding students to enhance their careers intermittently. These are five ways a University can prepare their students for career enhancement:
- Building Self Awareness and Mindfulness: Students need to be initiated with a sense of awareness about what kind of job role they are interested in, or could be best for them. Matching it with their dominant skills and expertise, the Placement Team must create sensitization about student possibilities and best choices. It can include sessions of counselling or revisiting career choices about specific domains.
- Developing Industry/Job specific skills: It is essential a university or an educational institute fosters equal attention on developing skills of students that are pertinent to the industry or job they are aspiring to accommodate themselves in. Technical skills and effective communication skills are extremely important to be built and polished in students.
- Preparing for Group Discussions and Personal Interviews: There cannot be a substitute for conducting Mock GD’s and PI’s for students at the University that encourages them to learn about their mistakes and recreate answers that are more crisp, authentic and impressive. This also includes a separate session for resume preparation that will set the ball rolling for students, because an impressive resume is what we are aiming at.
- Fostering Collaborations: Collaborations with Alumnis, Industry Experts and HR’s can be an excellent way to bridge the gap between the real world and the students while they are still getting trained, developed and figuring out certain choices. Collaborations are a sure way to connect students with the industry for getting a comprehensive idea about how it is done in the world outside.
- Work-Integrated Learning and Internships: The best way students can learn something quicker is to allow them to perform in a realistic setting. Universities can bring in internships for students that help them learn about their job roles in a pragmatic way, and practice work shadowing as well by observing a professional keenly. Learning that is work-integrated and gives a hands-on experience to students is the best way a University can provide support to their students’ career advancement.
Article By – Ms. Sayanti Adhikari, Training Lead, JLU